Laser Hair Removal
Chic la Vie Medical Spa in Las Vegas is pleased to offer laser hair removal treatments using the Candela GentleMax Pro™ system. For laser hair reduction, Candela is considered the “gold standard” regardless of skin type. Most patients find laser hair reduction with the Candela GentleMax Pro to be quite comfortable, and for hair removal, there is nothing more effective.
This state-of-the-art technology for laser hair reduction provides effective treatments while minimizing discomfort for our patients by blasting cold air onto the skin. In addition, the laser can treat all skin types.
What is Laser Hair Reduction?
As a laser can’t physically remove the hair follicle, the purpose of Laser Hair Reduction (LHR) is to diminish undesired hair from targeted areas of the body without injuring the surrounding tissue. The laser is tuned to pass through the skin via a wavelength that targets only the hair follicle. The hair follicle is destroyed by the laser’s energy and can no longer grow hair at the site.
How Many LHR Treatments will it Take?
Hair grows in different sequences so it may take several treatments for LHR to achieve optimal results. As with any medical procedure, our practitioner will work with you to customize a treatment program that achieves our patient’s goals. We typically recommend a minimum of 6 treatments spaced 6-8 weeks apart depending on the patient’s hair growth and the area targeted for laser hair reduction.
Is Laser Hair Removal / Reduction Safe?
Laser hair reduction is an effective and non-invasive treatment solution that is fast and safe. Most patients can return to work and normal activity immediately. It is not uncommon for the skin to feel warm and look red after treatment. These symptoms may feel like a mild sunburn and usually subside within a few hours. The patient can expect to shed from the treated area within a few weeks. This may resemble hair growing from the area, but the hair is actually being purged from the follicle. Patients are prohibited from waxing, electrolysis, and/or tweezing from the treated area, however, shaving can be resumed immediately.
Who is a Candidate for Laser Hair Reduction?
Individuals with excessive or unwanted hair is a good candidate for LHR. Laser Hair Reduction is not approved for all hair colors and skin types. Light pulses get absorbed by the melanin in the hair, and the resulting heat damages or destroy the follicle holding the hair. For this reason, it only works on dark hair. White, grey, blonde, and even red hair cannot be treated. Those with brown or black hair can see great results.
The Candela GentleMax Pro is approved for almost anyone, except women who are pregnant and/or nursing.
If you desire smooth, supple skin free of hair, LHR is the way to go! Call our office today to schedule a Free Consultation.
LASER HAIR REMOVAL PRE- & POST-TREATMENT CARE
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS
- The best way to minimize the risk of side effects is to avoid UV exposure for 7 days pre- and post-treatment.
- Avoid sunburns and tans for at least 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid sunless tanning products for 7 days before treatment.
- Provide your technician with an accurate and up to date medical history in order to receive safe and effective treatments.
- Side effects are uncommon but may include; Hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin), Hypopigmentation (loss of skin pigmentation), mild to moderate burns or blisters, permanent skin discoloration, temporary redness, follicular edema (little pink/red “puffiness and small bumps like “goosebumps”), swelling and itching in the treated area, hives, rashes, bruising, and lack of desired results.
- Clients who are pregnant cannot be treated.
- Technicians cannot treat over tattoos.
- If you have epilepsy, Chic La Vie is unable to provide treatment.
- The area to be treated must be clean-shaven. Unshaven clients will be rescheduled.
- Avoid UV exposure 7 days prior to your treatment.
- Clients who are sunburned or tanned must wait 2 weeks before being treated to avoid additional skin damage.
- Avoid sunless tanning products 7 days prior to your treatment. It is recommended that you exfoliate the area to remove any residual color.
- If applicable, apply numbing cream 30 to 40 minutes prior to your treatment. All products must be completely removed prior to treatment.
- All clients who are treating any part of their face or neck will be required to cleanse their entire face in the clinic before coming to your appointment.
- Avoid chemical peels and other laser procedures in the area to be treated for 2 weeks prior and two weeks after your laser treatment.
- Avoid all alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxyl products (AHA/BHA), hydroquinone, retinol/retinoid, Tazorac, and Differin for 7 days before treatment.
- Clients with any abnormal lesions, moles, or spots on the area to be treated must be cleared by a medical practitioner prior to treatment.
- Clients must stop waxing, tweezing, and chemical epilation 3 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, it is highly recommended to take an anti-viral medication (such as Valtrex) prior to your treatment. All clients with active cold sores will not be treated.
- Clients who have used Accutane or similar products within the last 6 months CANNOT have laser hair removal treatments.
- Clients should not perform any physical activity that increases body temperature or blood pressure within 2 hours before and after treatments.
- You should wait 14 days both before and after injections to receive treatments if you have Botox or dermal fillers in the area to be treated.
- Antibiotics may increase photosensitivity. We recommend that you check with your personal physician prior to receiving laser treatments if you are taking a long-term antibiotic. If you become ill and begin taking an antibiotic, you will need to be off the medication for 7 days before laser treatment.
- Lastly, boots may not be worn immediately after leg treatments.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR TREATMENT
- Clients with red, grey or blonde hair in the area to be treated should consult with a Chic La Vie Laser Technician prior to receiving treatments. The laser is less effective on these hair colors.
- During your treatment, you can expect slight discomfort, similar to a rubber-band snap on your skin. An over the counter numbing cream is available for purchase. Consult your laser technician with questions.
- During your treatment, you may experience slight redness, bumps, and swelling in the treated area for up to 72 hours. If these conditions persist, topical creams such as Restorative Gel (highest recommended), aloe, calamine, or hydrocortisone may be applied.
- Allow a minimum of 7 to 14 days post-treatment for hair to “fall out” or shed from the skin.
- On average, clients experience up to 30% reduction after each treatment.
- For best results, allow your technician(s) to customize your treatment schedule based on your needs.
- Clients may not bring children under the age of 12 to their appointments.
- Avoid extended UV exposure for 7 days post-treatment.
- If blisters occur, do not puncture and if the skin is broken, apply an antibiotic ointment until healed.
- For post-treatment discomfort, Tylenol is recommended.
- For post-treatment discomfort, over the counter medication is recommended. You may also apply Restorative Gel (highest recommended), cool towels, ice packs, or aloe vera to alleviate discomfort due to heat.
- Avoid using seat warmers immediately after treatment.
- Avoid any additional laser treatments or chemical procedures on the treated area for at least 2 weeks post-treatment or until healing has occurred.
- Using a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 or higher is critical when receiving laser treatments and is recommended ongoing for maintenance.
- If you experience any side effects, such as hypo- or hyper-pigmentation, prolonged redness or swelling, a histamine reaction, or blistering, call or come in for instructions on treatment.
- To achieve the best results, complete the full treatment schedule at the intervals recommended by your technician.
- Exfoliate treated areas to minimize the risk of ingrown hairs